The Old School/Scout HQ The Farmhouse Inn Village Hall fron the Playing Field St. Thomas the Apostal Church

Welcome to Southwick Village

Southwick is a rural village 2 miles southwest of the county town of Trowbridge, Wiltshire, in England. It is separated from Trowbridge only by the Southwick Country Park, which consists of 380 acres of open fields. The majority of the village lies south of the A361, which runs through the village, linking Trowbridge with Frome. It has a small primary school, which is located next to a large playing field.

Southwick has two main housing estates in the north east of the village, opposite the Southwick Allotments and the 'Farmhouse Inn' pub. The estates are linked, and named Chantry Gardens and Fleur De Lys Drive. In 2011, a small cluster of houses was built north of Fleur De Lys Drive, but linked to Fleur De Lys Drive via a short path. The estate was named Greenleaze Close. The second large group of housing is located to the south and the west of the playing field, and there are single short roads branching off of Blind Lane and Wesley Lane (a single road winding from Wynsome Street in between the A361 and North Bradley). These roads are named Southfield, Hollis Way, Wesley Close and Orchard Drive.

Basic History

Southwick Court Farmhouse, northwest of the village, is an L-shaped house of which one wing is dates 1567. Brook House, southeast of the village, is a 17th-century farmhouse beside an early 16th-century stone-built range. The Poplars was built in about 1650 and re-faced with brick in about 1700. Manor Farmhouse, west of the village, was built in 1673.

The Baptist chapel was built in 1815. The Church of England parish church of Saint Thomas was built in 1899-1904 to designs by the Gothic Revival architect C.E. Ponting of Marlborough.